Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Bitei Matsuki -- Luminescence de Tsuranuite(ルミネッセンスで貫いて)

 

A couple of months ago, I posted an article featuring a 2022 duet between Bitei Matsuki & Souki Urakami(松木美定・浦上想起)titled "Butai no Ue de"(舞台の上で). They showed that jazz and pop are still happily intermingling with each other in Japanese music, and so I was interested in seeing what more both have had to offer in their careers thus far.

Well in Bitei's case, even earlier in December 2021, he released an EP called "Luminescence de Tsuranuite" (Penetrating with Luminescence). That title track has that whimsical mixture of old-style jazz and pop that seems to be his calling card. Apparently, not only did Bitei come up with words and music but he was also responsible for the illustrations popping up in the music video above. A definite artiste, I see. 

One other personal observation that I have is that when I hear him sing the elegant "Luminescence de Tsuranuite", I sometimes get images of Gilbert O'Sullivan in my mind. Maybe there's even some feeling of the 1970s hidden in the arrangement.

2 comments:

  1. You know I like Jazz and anything Jazzy! I am impressed that one individual came up with the lyrics and artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know...I kinda figured almost a year ago that Atarashii Gakko no Leaders would end up on the Kohaku. I'm hoping that people like Matsuki and/or Urakami may do the same in the near future. There's still quite an untapped source in the pop realm.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.