Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 8, 2024

The Alpha -- Mizu no Knife(水のナイフ)

 

Happy Monday! It was about a little over three years ago that I put up an article regarding a band called The Alpha and their song "Yume Jikake Romance"(夢じかけロマンス). First off, I read about them in one of the Japanese music guides and had a keen interest in them solely on the really kakkoii cover design of their one and only full album "Sensation" from December 1985.

From Discogs

I had never heard of this band with the cool-sounding name in my many years of liking Japanese popular music so I figured that maybe there wouldn't be anything on YouTube, but happily, I was proven wrong once again. And they even had their own J-Wiki profile which stated they covered a fairly wide range of genres: rock, AOR, funk and fusion.

Well, to start off the second week of 2024, I will provide "Mizu no Knife" (Knife of Water) which was The Alpha's 5th single released in July 1986. Written by Sho Jitsukawa(実川翔)and composed by vocalist Keisuke Murakami(村上啓介), just like "Yume Jikake Romance", "Mizu no Knife" has that nocturnal cool rock and New Wave vibe as the story apparently relates the pain of love's ups and downs. If I've understood Jitsukawa's lyrics correctly, that knife of water represents the lass' display of tears which cuts the laddie to the core.

3 comments:

  1. Hello!I like THEALPHA, which I also commented on in my post on the dreamscape romance!
    I filled in most of the Wikipedia entries you mentioned! I'm so glad to hear from someone overseas in this way!
    I will also include the wiki for the albums Sen no Yume and Rin no Ai, which contain the water knife, later (I neglected it).
    I would like to post their live sound on youtube this spring, so if you don't mind, I would love to introduce them to you.
    But first, here's their album video with images

    Sensetion
    https://youtu.be/cqqvf3GMRL0?si=fuzBsIFgEwey_4qq

    閃の夢、凛の愛
    https://youtu.be/OyrWwhkWYiA?si=f8mKQuCuY9zSq8AY

    投稿主は私です(//▽//)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, Roomakmstyler! I think this is the first time that I've ever met somebody who has provided information on any of the Wikipedias お疲れ様です。Thanks as well for the information you've provided here. It's always good to fill in the blanks for the more obscure bands and singers, no matter the era.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.