Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Noriko Matsumoto -- Kanashii Kotori(かなしいことり)

 

It's been nearly four years since I've posted anything on 80s aidoru Noriko Matsumoto(松本典子). Ironically enough, the day that I did post my last article on the Tokyo-born singer was on KKP's 8th birthday on January 30th and we're fast approaching No. 12.

For the record, I think the original "Kanashii Kotori" (Sad Little Bird) by fellow 80s aidoru Yuki Saito(斉藤由貴)with its particular arrangement will always be the best one for me. However, having said that, Matsumoto's cover of that 1985 song isn't too bad either. A track on her 3rd album "Jasmin" from October 1990, this version of "Kanashii Kotori", which was written and composed by the poet and photographer Natsuo Giniro(銀色夏生), sounds somewhat more mature under the selection of synthesizers including one that sounds like an accordion from Paris and the slightly more measured singing by Matsumoto.

When I first heard this song, the first words of "Gomen ne..."(ごめんね...I'm sorry) suddenly sparked an engram of recognition within me. I hadn't quite remembered the title of Saito's signature song but as it went along, I finally could get my memories in order.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is hard to beat Yuki Saito, but then again because that was the first version of Kanashii Kotori I head I will always think of her when I hear it, Also Yuki Saito famously sang 悲しみよこんにちは.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.