Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 5, 2024

Ritsuko Kurosawa -- Hot Boy

 

I was never aware of this music variety show titled "Kayo Bin Bin House"(歌謡びんびんハウス)which was televised on TV Asahi on Sunday afternoons between 1986 and 1994. Most likely, when I was on the JET Programme back then, I was taking a leisurely nap in my room. But from what I've seen of this particular episode, it had quite a variety of musical guests running the gamut from aidoru to enka and having them go through different fun segments including the mini-golf at the beginning. One of them, enka diva Fuyumi Sakamoto(坂本冬美), was someone that I saw on the Kohaku Utagassen some days ago.

Throughout its nearly eight years on the air, there were a number of ending themes for the show with one of them being Ritsuko Kurosawa's(黒沢律子)"Hot Boy". The song was also her 2nd single released in October 1990 and that coincided with the release of her 2nd album, "Confess", on the same day. Masami Kobayashi(小林まさみ)was responsible for the lyrics which talk about the titular hot boy or maybe the young lady involved getting all hot and bothered about love. Meanwhile, the music was provided by Hideya Nakazaki(中崎英也). Not sure if it would fall under the category of City Pop, but there's a rather propulsive mix of R&B (maybe a touch of New Jack Swing?) and pop in there. 

5 comments:

  1. That episode of "Kayo Bin Bin House" also had Shizuka Kudo on as a guest, too!! So My wife and I approve of this music show. However, it seems only the music show from 1986 that has continued is Music Station. Yeah, it is hard to place 'Hot boy' I wonder what genre the creators claimed it to be. I guess it can simply be a fusion genre?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the two genres I mentioned, yeah, I guess it can be a fusion song. But I've found those have been quite interesting. "Kayo Bin Bin House" was quite the find on YouTube. It was quite the thing seeing Kudo and Sakamoto on the show when they were so young.:)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it was a fun show! Thanks for finding it

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this song! I had never heard of her before but I love the new jack swing production in this. I went ahead and listed to the album and it's really good, love discovering gems like this!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.