Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Susan -- Ah! Soka

 

Neither having watched a lot of the animated or CG representative programming for the "Star Wars" franchise over the past few decades nor caught "Ahsoka" on Disney+ (aside from what I've glimpsed through YouTube) since I'm not subscribed to the service, I've only had glimpses of the Jedi Knight Ahsoka Tano. 

From what I know of the character, she was Anakin Skywalker's Padawan learner until he had that drastic change of faith but apparently the lady has been able to hold her own for a while...at the very least, to be able to get her own TV show. Remembering how George Lucas loved to lift aspects of Japanese culture to adapt into his beloved "Star Wars", I had naively assumed that he got the name for Ahsoka from the common expression "Ah, soka"(あ、そうか。)meaning "Oh, is that so?". As it turns out, Lucas adapted the name from that of the ancient Indian emperor Ashoka.

Today's preamble ramble was brought to you by singer Susan and her tune "Ah! Soka". I'd introduced the lass back in early December last year because of her "My Love" which was the final track on her 2nd album "The Girl Can't Help It" in 1981. "Ah! Soka" was actually the B-side to her July 1981 single "Do You Believe in Magic?"  (a Susan album with the same title was released in 1980).

Written by Yukihiro Takahashi(高橋幸宏)and composed by Haruomi Hosono(細野晴臣), both fellows from the legendary Yellow Magic Orchestra, "Ah! Soka" is a bit more languid if also a little more playful through the singer than "My Love". It's got the techno in there for sure but the synths also share space and time and energy with some twangy guitars. Ah, yeah...those early 1980s

6 comments:

  1. Something about this song reminds me of some the Shonen Knife songs from the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's the whimsy involved with both acts?

      Delete
  2. The 1970s and early 80s synth music got me hooked even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did get YMO on the brain back then. I was just ravenous for the synth music when I was a high school kid.

      Delete
  3. Fireminer here. The moment you mentioned YMO, it just clicked in my head. Overall a pretty interesting intro and the rest is kind of ho-hum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the song is OK but no, not quite on the YMO level.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.