Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 5, 2024

Kaoru Akimoto -- Wagamama na High Heel(我がままなハイヒール)

 


All those years ago, it was through the above video featuring Macross 82-99 and Yung Bae's Vaporwave or Japanese Future Funk "Selfish High Heels" that I discovered the joys of Kaoru Akimoto's(秋元薫)original "Dress Down". But I did wonder about how that particular title for the Macross and Yung Bae collaboration came about. I had simply figured that it was some mashing of words in that surreal meme and Vaporwave style.


But eventually I did get my "Cologne" from 1986 and so I discovered that "Selfish High Heels" was the translation for one of the track mates of "Dress Down", "Wagamama na High Heel". Written by Akimoto and composed/arranged by Yuji Toriyama(鳥山雄司), it's quite the funky and high-stepping boogie about a woman who intimately knows Party Central territory and its residents and every night is a great night. Maybe it's the City Pop version of "Barbie" the movie in five minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I think prefer listening to "Wagamama na high heel" to watching the Barbie movie. long live city pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed that "Barbie" is an acquired taste and to be honest, for a comedy, I didn't laugh once throughout the movie. However, ironically enough, I did see it as a modern-day Pinocchio which was quite an interesting take on the iconic American doll.

      Delete
    2. Pinocchio? I would not have thought of that, but that does make sense.

      Delete
    3. Looks like "Barbie" scored some at the Golden Globes last night along with "Oppenheimer".

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.