Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, January 12, 2024

Aya Shigematsu -- Tokyo Boogie-Woogie (東京ブギウギ)

 

Fellow "Kayo Kyoku Plus" co-administrator and expert on the early Showa era music, Noelle Tham, and I were having a conversation below her latest article, Ichimaru's(市丸)"Shamisen Boogie-Woogie" (三味線ブギウギ) about how great it was having NHK's current morning serial drama "Boogie Woogie"(ブギウギ)based on the life and times of Shizuko Kasagi(笠置シヅ子), albeit under a fictionalized guise. Viewers and kayo kyoku fans can once again hear some of the oldies including Kasagi's most famous "Tokyo Boogie-Woogie". I have no doubt that the finale of this show will have the entire cast performing an all-out take on the classic.

"Tokyo Boogie-Woogie" is a song that I have known since I was a kid since it was such a popular tune to be heard on TV and the like, and I even posted my thoughts on it over ten years ago on the blog. The article then also included a cover version by old-time rock n' roll band The Venus but otherwise, all other versions that I've heard have basically followed the original's swing jazz formula.

However, a few days ago, I encountered this new version released on a YouTube channel run by Re:JPop. Silkily sung by Aya Shigematsu(重松文), it's been given a new City Pop sheen by arranger Funkachips. It was revealed on December 30 2023 (oh, how much would I have loved for it to come out in 2024 as the first song to be posted for that year!) and I'm not sure if this is going to be an official streaming single; it may just be for enjoyment as a YouTube experimental tune. Perhaps the purists may not be too pleased but I'm perfectly fine with it since I am a sucker for City Pop.

As for Shigematsu (nickname Bun), she has identified herself as a Yokohama kid on her Twitter account and wears a number of hats including those for actress, model, singer and reporter for the TBS information program "THE TIME"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.