Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Kenji Endo -- Yukimizake(雪見酒)

 

Well, either the above businessman is really intensely looking at the snow offscreen or he's got a lot on his mind. Actually, I just had to bring in this particular Bing AI picture since I didn't use it for the AI gallery article I put up just now.

It didn't take long to find a song to go with it. "Yukimizake" (Snow View Sake) is a song by the late singer-songwriter Kenji Endo(遠藤賢司)from his November 1971 second album "Manzoku Dekiru ka na"(満足できるかな...Can I Ever Be Satisfied?). I first wrote about Endo through an Author's Pick regarding foodie kayo a few years ago and he provided his paean to one of his favourite dishes "Curry Rice"(カレーライス)which is also included on the album.

Starting a bit like "Mellow Yellow" with that bass and drum, "Yukimizake" is a laidback bluesy folk tune that would sound ideal with a bunch of sake-drinking people all huddled around a fire outside in wintry Hokkaido. I can imagine everybody knocking back some heated glasses of One Cup Ozeki. I bought one of those from a vending machine, drank it down and had one of the worst hangovers in my life. For the rest of my time in Japan, I used it for only cooking purposes. It is now Hakkaisan or Kubota or bust for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.