Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 30, 2024

Tomoko Kuwae -- Santa Maria Yuki no Fune(サンタマリア行きの船)

 

Nope, I know that the postcard has the place name of Santa Monica and not Santa Maria, but it was the only thumbnail of California I could find, unless I make something nice and California-esque from Bing

My experience with California is rather limited, sad to say. I've been to the Golden State only twice in my lifetime. I was in Los Angeles for one night in 1989 and then the following year, I visited San Francisco and Sacramento. But I have yet to go anywhere in the state with the word "Santa" and so my image of such an area is probably rather rosy and romantic with sunny seas, wide avenues, lovely houses and great restaurants. Maybe my friend and fellow writer Larry can give me some insights on Santa Maria especially since he has lived in California for many years.

And indeed, Santa Maria is the focus here because the song is "Santa Maria Yuki no Fune" (The Ship Bound for Santa Maria) by Tomoko Kuwae(桑江知子). It is a track on her debut album from June 1979, "Born Free", but for some reason, the uploader has had the video labeled "Manhattan Yuki no Fune"(The Ship Bound for Manhattan) since it first got onto YouTube in 2020. Mind you, I think it is possible for a cruise liner to dock in New York City.

In any case, "Santa Maria Yuki no Fune" is a summery and dreamy number with those disco strings and percussion detailing the story of a Tokyoite who has decided that Santa Maria is the place to be with the mixed emotions that such a huge move would carry. And back in 1979, perhaps it was indeed a huge move, but at least it's still closer to Japan than Manhattan. The song was written by Machiko Ryu(竜真知子and composed by Kimio Mizutani(水谷公生).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.