Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 23, 2024

Rie Ida & 42nd Street -- Kaーkeーhiーki

 

It's been a while since I last put up an article for Rie Ida(井田リエ)& 42nd Street and I've got this relatively quieter song by her and the band. This song is "Kaーkeーhiーki" (Bargaining) from their November 1980 album "Step In My Heart" and though a number of definitions exist for this term which is written in kanji as「駆け引き」, I gather that Kayako Taiji's*(太地夏夜子)lyrics describe about the give-and-take of love in a relationship which can unfortunately snap like an overstretched cord. 

Mitsuhiro Sonoyama's(園山光博)melody is a laidback one, heard as a slow strut as if one of the partners in the relationship is taking a cooling-off walk in a que sera sera way. It's some nice old-fashioned soul for the good ol' soul. Love the Latin guitar solo here.

*I tried tracking down the correct way to say the lyricist's family name but couldn't confirm it here, and Jisho has given a number of readings for it. If anyone is able to inform me of the proper reading, I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.