Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 8, 2024

Toshiki Kadomatsu -- Secret Lover

 


It's been a while since I've posted anything by one of the City Pop kings, Toshiki Kadomatsu(角松敏生). And since up to this point, we've been keeping tonight's urban contemporary material very contemporary, let's head back to the good ol' 1980s.

From his May 1985 5th studio album, "GOLD DIGGER〜with true love〜", I offer you his "Secret Lover" which may sound like one of his Toshiki-est songs from that decade. From that boppy bass, those wistful and summery chord progressions and his silky vocals, the only other way that it could become even more City Pop of the 1980s is have him show up in an outfit designed by Seizo Watase(わたせせいぞう).

I'll be honest, though. I know that 80s songs on either side of the Pacific had their fair share of DJ tricks and open flirtation between the artist and some young lady during the bridge, but the first time I listened to Kadomatsu doing just that on "Secret Lover", I almost did a spit-take with my glass of water. By the way, "GOLD DIGGER" hit No. 7 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.