Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Emotions -- Best of My Love

 

Although I grew up in the disco era, it took quite a few more years before I actually began to appreciate how fun and groovy those particular songs were. "Best of My Love" by The Emotions was one song that I used to hear on those old K-Tel disco hits commercials. Released in June 1977, the songwriters were none other than Maurice White and Al McKay of Earth Wind & Fire, and of course, the combination was a match made in disco heaven with the groovy rhythms becoming a template for probably other R&B tunes and perhaps even some Japanese City Pop songs (one EPO song comes to mind) later on. There are plenty of songs from the 70s that could be deemed flagpoles for disco; "Best of My Love" was one of them.

Of course, not being the sharpest billiard ball in the rack, it would take a long time for me to realize that The Emotions and Earth Wind & Fire collaborated on one of my favourites, "Boogie Wonderland", in 1979. In any case, "Best of My Love" hit No. 5 on Canada's RPM while it hit No. 1 on America's Billboard chart. I really should call the song a TARDIS because in its surprisingly brief time of a little over three and a half minutes, it packs so much fun and joy. As well, it's one of those songs that has me shimmying in my seat even in my middle age. However, I think the folks below actually do the choreography right (although it's Samantha Jade covering the song here).


So, I've got two songs by two groups which had their own dynamic disco take on things back in the day. And they were released in June 1977 as well.

Pink Lady -- Nagisa no Sinbad (渚のシンドバッド)


Candies -- Shochū Omimai Mōshiagemasu(暑中お見舞い申し上げます)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.