Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Machiko Watanabe -- Hold Me Tight(ホールド ミー タイト)

 

I guess the lyric "hold me tight" has been used in so many kayo kyoku probably going back to the 1960s that it was only a matter of time that it would actually be used as a title of a song.

Sure enough, Machiko Watanabe(渡辺真知子)recorded her 8th single for release in May 1980 and it's actually titled "Hold Me Tight". I'd already mentioned the song in passing last month when I covered the B-side, "Summer Night". Written and composed by Watanabe with Motoki Funayama(船山基紀)arranging everything, I would say that most of it is in the jaunty City Pop mode with a touch of disco but when the chorus comes in, I couldn't help but also hear some country and even a bit of gospel in the delivery. Lyrics-wise, it's all about enjoying that summer beach walk and in all likelihood, some of that summer romancing as the title would suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.