Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

J-Canuck's Five Favourite Iruka(イルカ)Songs

 

It was nice to see the 75-year-old singer-songwriter Iruka(イルカ)back on "Uta Con"(うたコン)again after a while. She's still very genki and I was happy that she didn't just do her "Nagori Yuki". Basically, that's her go-to song whenever she appears on television, and I have nothing against the song or her performing it. It's just that she's not just a one-hit wonder; she's got plenty of other wonderful songs that she's crafted. In fact, I was surprised and delighted that her three-song medley included "Ame no Monogatari" which I had never heard performed on the tube before and as I said in that article, it's the first Iruka song that I had ever had the pleasure of listening to and it's one of the songs that taught me that Japanese pop music wasn't all aidoru and technopop.

Well, I've also discovered that I have yet to provide a Favourites list for Iruka so without further ado, here are my favourite tunes by the lady whose real name is Toshie Hosaka(保坂としえ).

(1975)  Nagori Yuki (なごり雪)


(1977) Ame no Monogatari (雨の物語)


(1980) Yoake no Goodbye (夜明けのグッドバイ)


(1981) Follow Me


(1985) Mou Umi ni wa Kaerenai (もう海には帰れない)

1 comment:

  1. Aimyon is kind of the modern version of Iruka. Yeah, their voices are very different but they are both singer song writers of pop-folk music.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.