OK, first off, the First Day of Autumn 2026 isn't today; it actually arrives in Toronto at 8:04 pm September 22nd, so more than 24 hours from now (although it feels a whole lot cooler today). For another thing, there is no national holiday happening here in Canada anytime this week but there are three consecutive holidays over the 21st to the 23rd in Japan: Respect-for-the-Aged Day on Monday, the First Day of Autumn on Wednesday and a government-sanctioned day off on Tuesday to act as a generous bridge. Mind you, there is a powerful typhoon wracking the nation right now, so I'm hoping that everyone there is safe and sound.
And yet, I'm putting on a special holiday edition of Reminiscings of Youth today. Why? Because it is the 21st of September and I love "September" by Earth Wind & Fire so much. I already made one ROY about it back in 2020 but I just felt that it deserved another article because it is so upbeat, happy and joyful. It's pretty much impossible to stay still when listening to it. Furthermore, when I did write the first post for "September", I was reminded by my own words that it was during the COVID lockdowns when no one was out dancing. Well, they should be dancing now whether it be in Area 51 or any dance hall near you.
They were dancing to it back then in 1978 when it was first released and they're dancing to it now.
It was a nice way to finish "Night at the Museum".
And of course, the remix crowd had a field day with "September". This is the one by Phats & Small, by the way.
If you were one of the lucky ones to have seen EW&F in concert live, consider yourself truly blessed. The dancing must have been amazing!
Back in my original post in 2020, I mentioned that I couldn't find any monthly Oricon charts before 1980. Well, that was then and this is now. I can give you what was up at Nos. 1, 3 and 5 for September 25th 1978 (although I know that "September" was actually released in mid-November that year).
1. Takao Horiuchi -- Kimi no Hitomi wa Ichi-man Boruto (君のひとみは10000ボルト)
3. Masanori Sera & Twist -- Hikigane(銃爪)
5. Southern All Stars -- Katte ni Sinbad (勝手にシンドバッド)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.