I used to get a kick (no pun intended) out of watching those ancient Hai Karate commercials where the "poor" wearer of the cologne has to revert to his sudden martial arts abilities to fend off Valerie Leon. The above ad is the one that I do remember seeing as a child. As an addendum, I've never bought the stuff (if it even still exists today) so I don't really know how potent it is.
Hai Karate was what I remembered when I heard this track from Tomita Lab's(富田ラボ)2003 "Shipbuilding" album. "Kaori to Kage" (Scent and Shadows) was another songwriting collaboration between Tomita Lab and Kirinji(キリンジ)as a man seems to go crazy with obsession (again, no pun intended) when he picks up on the scent of a woman in an elevator. Hopefully, he didn't go too far in his pursuit, olfactory or otherwise, of the lass. Still, the song has this fun and cheerful mild funk arrangement that could span the 1970s into the 1980s. It could even fit as a theme song for a rollicking rom-com in Japan. Hey, nice little piano jazz in the middle, too.
Back in the old days, I was rather miserly when I posted KKP articles regarding albums and that was true with the original article on "Shipbuilding" although I have tried to make amends by providing articles based on specific tracks from the album in the years since such as Yuming's(ユーミン)contribution to "Shipbuilding", "God Bless You!". By the way, I don't think I've ever seen the commercial below.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.