Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, September 25, 2026

Shiro Sagisu & John J. Stanley -- Music and You

 

Back around four years ago, I posted an article featuring the future soundtrack composer of "Evangelion" and the future husband of City Pop chanteuse Junko Yagami(八神純子) as a duo called Sagisu/Stanley. "Let Me Be Myself" is a smart and sophisticated tune on "Sagisu/Stanley" that brings all the nostalgic feelings I've had for AOR years ago.

Well, I'm back to the album and this time, I'm presenting the first track titled "Music and You". Once again, written by singer-songwriter John J. Stanley and created by composer/arranger/producer Shiro Sagisu(鷺巣詩郎), this one has got a Beatles-ish beginning and then a run-like-the-wind disco arrangement that has me thinking of Electric Light Orchestra. The two may not be Hall & Oates but these guys are pretty darn slick and if I can still get this 1980 release, I would be more than happy to unleash my credit card.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like I really like the Japanese album-oriented rock genre; this is a good example of that genre. I can't think of any song I have heard that sounds like this, but somehow there is something in this song or something about this song that feels nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to Stanley and Sagisu, this album definitely does stand out.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.