Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Kumiko Yamashita -- Ame no Hi wa Ie ni Ite(雨の日は家にいて)

 

When I saw the news on NHK this morning, I was informed that Tokyo had broken a new record for the longest consecutive number of rainy days at 34 straight days. I don't recall during my time there experiencing anything as long as that in terms of precipitation. Although I know that water is essential, I'm hoping that the clouds finally do break up for some sun to come through.

With that said, maybe we can start the day today with something thematically connected. And so I'm going with Kumiko Yamashita's(山下久美子)5th single, "Ame no Hi wa Ie ni Ite" (Staying at Home on a Rainy Day) from October 1981. Created by a trio of veterans in lyricist Chinfa Kan(康珍化), composer Issei Okamoto(岡本一生)and arranger Ginji Ito(伊藤銀次), it has that lovely relaxing feeling reminiscent of 50s and 60s pop. At first, I thought "Stand By Me" and then I went further and remembered "Rhythm of the Rain" by The Cascades in 1962. The single itself wasn't a huge hit on its own, scoring a No. 91 ranking on Oricon but it was the title track for Yamashita's 3rd album from August that same year which did much better by hitting No. 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.