Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

microstar -- Tiny Spark


A bit late on getting my articles tonight but doing the semi-annual cleaning of the CD shelves and then having to make dinner can delay me some. Dinner is easy...


Anyways, how about a bit more microstar? I realize that I wrote their inaugural article a mere two weeks ago but I think Seiki Sato's(佐藤清喜)group is so catchy that I think one more so soon couldn't hurt.

My first microstar contribution was their jazzy "Yuugure Girl"(夕暮れガール)that brought images of a swanky night in New York at the Waldorf-Astoria. Well, that was back then. Off from their 2016 album "She got the blues", it looks like Sato and vocalist Yuko Iizumi(飯泉裕子)decided to head on down to Manhattan's Studio 54 in the 1970s through "Tiny Spark". Along with the disco, I couldn't help but be reminded of Pet Shop Boys' "Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes off You)". I'm being complimentary here when I say that "Tiny Spark" deserves its place on an old-fashioned K-Tel record.

Gonna have to continue to keep an eye on microstar's discography.

3 comments:

  1. Hello J-Canuck,

    Again you nailed it. In your previous post I mentioned that the music from microstar's "Yuugure Girl" was "sampled" from an old song from Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band. I also mentioned that I heard the song from a record my mother gave to me on my birthday.

    That song was on a K-Tel record called Pure Power.

    Yes, I am that old.

    But I could still see microstar's "Tiny Spark" on that album too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tiny Spark" seems to have incorporated something from Frankie Valli's "Swearin' To God" (1975): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0YeaetFT4

    - roelm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Roelm.

      I wouldn't be surprised...a lot of these songs just seem to bring back memories of all those K-Tel record commercials.:)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.