Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

The First Songs to Start It All For Me

 

Well, that was quite the coincidence. I just posted up "The Firsts (Mariya, Tatsuro, Akina, EW&F, EPO)" earlier this afternoon and it contained a few of my 80s favourites that helped start my path of kayo kyoku glory. Then, I find out that this week's "Uta Con"(うたコン)was having an 80s theme night. It was quite the manna from heaven for me.

I recall that I wrote up years ago a somewhat rambling account of my history of liking kayo kyoku so in a way, this article will emulate the overall theme. However, this time around, I'm just going to be a little more judicious with my thoughts here. But let it be said that these songs made a foundation to start things off for me thanks to an old classmate's "The Top 10" and "The Best 10" videotapes and my graduation trip to Japan in 1981....before I got to listen to "The Sounds of Japan" and watch my first ever Kohaku Utagassen in January 1982.

Hiromi Iwasaki -- Sumire Iro no Namida (すみれ色の涙)

The long black hair, the wide smile and the voice that could part clouds and let sunshine through. It was this ballad that started my own fan feelings for Hiromi Iwasaki(岩崎宏美)and pretty much pegged her in my mind as the Queen of Pop Balladry for a number of years.

Masahiko Kondo -- Blue Jeans Memory (ブルー・ジーンズ・メモリー)

Matchy the tough but tenderhearted teenager will always be represented by "Blue Jeans Memory" whose titular movie posters were all over the place when I was traveling through Tokyo and Osaka in the torrid summer of 1981

Jun Horie -- Memory Glass(メモリーグラス)

One reason that I haven't included Yellow Magic Orchestra in the list is that listening to their "Firecracker" on the local Japanese-Canadian community TV show here in Toronto had me intrigued but not quite head-over-heels for Japanese pop music. It took that graduation trip several months later to finally cement things. Anyways, Jun Horie's(堀江淳)"Memory Glass" was more kayo than "Firecracker" but that certain synthesizer in play here further fired up my interest in technopop.

Hitomi Ishikawa -- Machibuse (まちぶせ)

I got to hear this in Japan, I also did the same on those videotapes and then finally, Hitomi Ishikawa(石川ひとみ)showed up on the 1981 Kohaku Utagassen. It was pretty much wall-to-wall "Machibuse" for several months so there was no way that I would leaving this one off the list.

Imo Kin Trio -- High School Lullaby

This was another wall-to-wall song because of the Japan trip and videotapes although I wouldn't hear about the background behind the making of this song and even how the name of this group came about for several years. On tonight's "Uta Con", I even learned some more information which answered one question that had been rattling about in my head just as long: Why didn't these guys show up on the Kohaku despite the crazy popularity of this song in 1981? Well, Imo Kin Trio(イモ欽トリオ), the trio of young comics-turned-sudden singers who did show up to perform "High School Lullaby" tonight, explained that they actually had been given that golden offer by NHK. However their mentor, legendary comedian Kin'ichi Hagimoto(萩本欽一)who starred with them on their Fuji-TV variety show shot the question across their bow, "Do you really consider yourself singers?" and explained that if you accept the invitation, you're taking away a spot from a real singer who's dedicated to their craft. So, long story short, the answer was NO. I find this a bit ironic on Hagimoto's part since I believe he was the one who got the trio to get themselves into the music business; I guess he hadn't realized how successful they were going to get. Sorry, I did say I was going to be more judicious but couldn't help myself here.

Toshiyuki Nishida -- Moshimo Piano ga Hiketanara(もしもピアノが弾けたなら)

This was another wall-to-wall song that I heard in Japan and on those videotapes. And not surprisingly, it was the one to start things off on "Uta Con" tonight with Yo Oizumi's(大泉洋)rendition of the song. Still miss Nishida(西田敏行)who passed away almost two years ago.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that video clip of Hiromi Iwasaki (岩崎宏美 ) performing すみれ色の涙 is from the ザ・トップテン (Monday, September 7, 1981). Ah, Hitomi Ishikawa's Machibuse (まちぶせ)is another favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.