I recall having entered the huge Seibu Department Store complex in Shibuya a few times; I was more of a Tower Records enthusiast up the street. Still, it was with some surprise that I heard of its permanent closure at 8 pm Wednesday night JST after 58 years of service. Unsurprisingly, there was a huge crowd outside its entrance when the time to say goodbye came as they flashed their smartphone cameras. There was a feature on the NHK news program about the closure and Shibuya Seibu's importance as a cultural hub as well as a commercial one. They even interviewed the elderly man who had designed the buildings that housed Shibuya Seibu and he was refreshingly unwistful about the demise of the complex stating that all things change including culture and brand names and that he was actually looking forward to the next several years of how the changes will affect Shibuya.
That won't be the other major change in the Youth Mecca. Another institution, Tokyu Hands, will be closing its doors at the end of November this year. I've already written something about that one.
Well, I thought in tribute to the closure of the Shibuya branch, I would see if I can find a jingle that it used. And although NHK couldn't show the commercial via Jme due to the usual copyright issues, I was able to find the ad on YouTube. It features the one-and-only Woody Allen innocently showing off the then-catchphrase for Seibu at the time, "Oishii Seikatsu" (Delicious Life).
I can only marvel how it was there back in 1982, especially when it came to the restaurant floor up at the top and then the basement floor with all sorts of food selling down there. As for what the Seibu designer said, I'm also looking forward to how Shibuya overall will change in the next several years.
Amazing track! Akko and the Professor at the height of their powers--and all for a tv commercial. It's lovely to hear this outside the context of the album, revealing just what a gem of a song it is.
ReplyDeleteThey give their all for even commercials. I still like to listen to the Professor's "Daiei" for a pick-me-up.
Delete