Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Shikao Suga -- Yuudachi(夕立)

https://kokugo.jitenon.jp/word/p51842

 

I know that there are many examples of such kanji in Japanese, but I often marvel at how much information a couple of characters can provide. For example, 「夕立」or "yuudachi" means a sudden cloudburst on a summer afternoon. It's kinda like suddenly yanking out eight people from an old Toyota Corolla. It also means that one has to be careful when using the expression since you may get some quizzical looks using "yuudachi" if a snow squall happens on New Year's Eve.

And we bring ourselves to this "Yuudachi", namely singer-songwriter Shikao Suga's(スガシカオ) track from his September 1999 3rd album "Sweet". I believe I heard this when the man was doing his medley on a recent episode of "Asaichi"(あさイチ)some weeks ago, and I found it rather cool and summery as we approached the final weeks of the hot season. It also strikes me as being rather old-school funky and laidback and it's reminiscent of some of the stuff that Original Love has been doing all these years. Imagine the lad doing this on his guitar at an early September BBQ party at your house. As for the album, "Sweet" hit No. 3 on Oricon.

2 comments:

  1. When I hear the name Shikao Suga, the song “Progress" automatically comes to mind. So, periodically, it is good to have a nice reminder that his discography is a lot wider and more varied. I am not sure if this song could be called soft rock, but it is very easy to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, soft rock didn't come to mind when I heard "Yuudachi"; the funk was a bit more pronounced here for me to label it that way.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.