Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, August 17, 2026

Gamu -- Kanashikute/Yume de Aitai kara(悲しくて・夢で逢いたいから)

 
When it comes to the folk duo Gamu(雅夢), most listeners of Japanese pop music of the past will quickly recollect their debut single and biggest hit, the wistful "Ai wa Kagero"(愛はかげろう)from September 1980.


Well, vocalist and songwriter Kazuto Miura(三浦和人)went really dramatic with his group's 2nd single "Kanashikute" (I'm Sad/I Miss You) from February 1981. Man, starting with that epic pipe organ, it almost sounded like a particularly mournful take on Albinoni's "Adagio in G Minor". What has just been wrought here, I initially thought. Mind you, the folk ballad quickly simmers down to a melancholy piece about being alone after a breakup with the home that used to be for two now an emptier space for one. Nope, I really don't think this will be played at any wedding receptions.


I figured that for an A-side so almost overwhelmingly sad, the B-side has just got to be a whole lot more optimistic for balance's sake. And sure enough, although there is some of that romantic ache in "Yume de Aitai kara" (Because I Want to See You in My Dreams), there is also more hope in this tenderhearted tune. Miura and songwriter Haruaki Kato(夏冬春秋)co-wrote the lyrics while Miura took care of the languid melody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.