Yup, I still have the latest Seizo Watase(わたせせいぞう)calendar hanging up in my room. If I can't have the good life, well, at least, I can watch it vicariously.
According to YouTuber Marty McFlies v2, there was a manga by Watase known as "Hurricane" which lasted all of one volume, and jazz pianist/arranger Ken Shima(島健)created an image album of music based on it. Released in 1989, this album, also known as "Hurricane", looks awfully classy on its cover...almost like an old movie poster of some thriller movie starring Bogie and Bacall. Shima is no stranger to Watase projects since he had also been helping out on the anime form of the illustrator's "Heart Cocktail" through songs such as "Cool Lunch Time"(クールランチタイム).
The first track on "Hurricane" is a cover of the 1954 jazz standard "Misty" by jazz pianist Erroll Garner. Shima's take on it is very refined and romantic...somewhat Mancini-esque in arrangement. I start remembering the more tender moments in the detective dramedies "Moonlighting" and "Remington Steele" when I hear this one. Very expensive dinners under moonlight also come to mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.