It was about a couple of months ago that I posted Mai Yamane's(山根麻衣)"Kibun wa Fairness"(気分はフェアネス), her August 1982 5th single and a most congenial pop/rock song that was used as a commercial jingle for a Shiseido brand. As I said in that article, the song seemed to be a transitional one between her early City Pop material and her later jangly blues-rock stuff.
Well, today, I have the B-side from that single. "Doyou no Yoru to Nichiyou no Asa" (Saturday Night and Sunday Morning) was written and composed by Yamane, and this time around, it tends toward a more AOR line (although I'd been leaning toward New Wave in the first few measures initially), but is no less congenial. Although the titular days of the week aren't mentioned in the lyrics, Yamane relates a tale of a woman apparently smitten through a weekend encounter with a man of her dreams via a romantic car ride. Now, whether things pan out to her benefit is unknown but for right now, she's more than happy to keep the swooning up. I do love the combination of Fender Rhodes and guitar here.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.