Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Shiori Tanimura -- Kimi no Tonari de(きみのとなりで)

 

Looks like I have my second insert song for a Japanese TV show today following "Aventure wa Gorgeous ni"(アバンチュールはゴージャスに)...just by coincidence, I assure you.

I was doing my usual maintenance rounds yesterday when I came across the tribute article for Shinji Tanimura(谷村新司)after his passing on October 8th 2023. At the bottom of the article, I mentioned about the great balladeer's eldest daughter, Shiori Tanimura(谷村詩織), who has also become a singer-songwriter like her father.

Not having posted anything about her thus far, I decided to search for some of her discography and happily, it didn't take me long to find a pleasant creation of hers. Back in 2011, there was a Fuji-TV comedy-drama called "Marumo no Okite"(マルモのおきて...Marumo's Rule) whose kiddie-friendly main theme song "Maru Maru Mori Mori!"(マル・マル・モリ・モリ!)became one of the catchiest tunes released that year. Well, an insert song for the program had been written and composed by Shiori called "Kimi no Tonari de" (By Your Side) . It's a laidback and more mature love song that has a hint of an old-fashioned pop arrangement, maybe even with a touch of country in there, to boot. I'm not sure if it had been ever released as an official single but perhaps it was included on any official soundtrack of the show.

2 comments:

  1. My Japanese music ironic sense is tingling! It seems that in 谷村新司 wrote and composed「君のそばにいる」and released in November 20, 1995. And that title is very close in meaning this post's song 「きみのとなりで」released by 谷村詩織. Like Father like Daughter? hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I'm hoping that Shinji was proud of his daughter's works up to his untimely passing.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.