Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 21, 2026

Masami Yoshida -- Smoke Rings

 


I guess it's approaching about a year since I last posted an article regarding singer-songwriter Masami Yoshida(吉田政美). The former half of the folk duo Grape(グレープ)apparently had quite a time exploring the urbane and Latin sides of music since the professional breakup with Masashi Sada(さだまさし)in the mid-1970s.

My last article on Yoshida's music was for his "Orange City no Asa"(オレンジ・シティの朝), a track from his 1980 album "My tune My turn masami". That was quite the laidback samba for hammock-loving listeners. Well, I have something even more relaxing here from the same album and that would be "Smoke Rings". I was having quite the ping-pong battle online on whether the title was "Smoke Rings" or "Smoke Ring". Then I saw the image of the actual record with the printing of the titles. It's indeed "Smoke Rings". Composed by Yoshida and written by Mami Kikuchi(菊池まみ), Brazil is still the name of the nation for the melodic inspiration and not surprisingly, for something more relaxing, bossa nova is the genre of choice. Enjoy your caipirinha!

2 comments:

  1. COOL! I wish I had something else to say about this song, but the only word that comes to my mind is simlpy "cool".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gather that Yoshida's works have been rather underrated.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.