Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Various -- Fuji no Yama(ふじの山)

 

Well, this one crept on me fairly quickly. I guess it's because this week at least is part of the O-Bon Holiday season but I had completely forgotten that August 11th is Mountain Day in Japan, a national holiday.

Of course, folks visited their nearby mountains. My old English conversation circle's members are all mountain-hiking enthusiasts although I'm glad that none of them invited me to any of their journeys up the slopes. My heart would have exploded.😨

So, on this Mountain Day, I went searching for whether there was a song that commemorates the most famous mountain of them all in Japan. And sure enough, it didn't take long before I encountered "Fuji no Yama"(Mt. Fuji)which is also known as "Fuji-san"(富士山).

Designated as a children's song sanctioned by the Ministry of Education, "Fuji no Yama" made its first appearance in a 1910 elementary school student book of songs. Although the composer remains unknown, the lyricist was Sazanami Iwaya(巖谷小波)who was also a children's book author and a scholar of German literature. The song of course proudly boasts of the magnificence of Japan's most famous peak.🗻 The translation below is from Google Translate.

Rising high above the clouds,

Looking down upon the surrounding peaks,

Hearing the thunder roll far below—

Mount Fuji is Japan's greatest mountain.


Towering high in the blue sky,

Clad in a robe of snow,

Trailing a hem of mist far into the distance—

Mount Fuji is Japan's greatest mountain.

In 2007, almost a century after the first appearance of the song, "Fuji no Yama" was accepted as one of the songs in Nihon no Uta Hyakusen(日本の歌百選...Collection of 100 Japanese Songs). During the past century, it's been sung by various people and bands including school choruses. I did find this rather interesting take on "Fuji no Yama" by veteran vocal group Bonny Jacks(ボニージャックス). Their soulful cover (I almost thought that they were going to be joined by a few Pips) comes from their 1997 album "Bonny Jacks no Nihon no Shouka"(ボニージャックスの日本の唱歌...The Songs of Japan by Bonny Jacks).

2 comments:

  1. Back in 2002, I climbed to the top of what is sometimes called Tsugaru Fuji (Mount Iwaki), but due to recent news of bear attacks, I do not think I will be doing any climbing or hiking anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been quite the past couple of years in terms of bear incursions and attacks.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.