Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Mariko Uranishi -- Stardust Eyes (スターダストアイズ)


Even though “Stardust Eyes” was used as the opening theme for the Ronin Warriors (鎧伝サムライトルーパー) anime in 1988, I first came across this song through Hiroko Moriguchi’s (森口博子) “Kure Isogu Machi” (暮れ急ぐ街), which is basically the same song, but with different lyrics and arrangement.

The thing is, since Moriguchi originally sang “Samurai Heart”, the second opening theme for the same anime, she also recorded a version of “Stardust Eyes”, which was included in her 1989 album “Prime Privacy”. So, after reading this album’s liner notes, I've finally discovered that an original version of the song, recorded by underground aidoru Mariko Uranishi (浦西真理子), existed.

Released as a single in August 1988, Mariko Uranishi’s “Stardust Eyes” sounds like your typical 80s anisong, if it wasn’t for one detail: the arrangement is a very direct copy of Pet Shop Boys’ “It’s A Sin”, with everything included, like the thunderstorm sounds, for example. But I’ll not lie here… I loved the combination of the overtly dramatic electronic arrangement with the graceful melody in the chorus and Mariko Uranishi’s weak aidoru vocals. It was just a dreamy combination in my book, so I’m glad I’ve finally discovered this song.


As I could see, Mariko Uranishi didn’t release any other single, nor album, but she did some nude photo shoots and AV movies at some point. Well, everybody has bills to pay, I think. Also, Hiroko Moriguchi’s “Kure Isogu Machi” isn’t available on YouTube, which is a pity, since it’s a pretty nice and more down to earth version of the very over the top and 80s-sounding “Stardust Eyes”. In fact, even a third version of “Stardust Eyes” exists, this time the more rock-friendly “DEAD END LOVE” by composer Yasuhiko Shigemura (茂村泰彦), but, just like Moriguchi’s version, it’s not on YouTube.

Lyrics for “Stardust Eyes” were written by Yoshiko Miura (三浦徳子), while music was composed by Yasuhiko Shigemura. As for the arrangement, Michiaki Katou (加藤みちあき) was the responsible.

Mariko Uranishi

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcos.

    Being a PSB fan myself, I could quickly catch onto the resemblance with "It's A Sin". I can also imagine that it was probably not the only song by Pet Shop Boys that songwriters borrowed from. Around the same time, songwriters for Yoko Oginome took the riff from Level 42's "Lessons In Love" for one of her songs, to my great shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck.

      As it seems, it was a common practice in Japan during those times. Just recently, I discovered that one of my favorite Momoko Kikuchi's songs, "Mystical Composer", is very similar to Jaki Graham's "Round and Round". Apparently, Tetsuji Hayashi liked that song a little bit too much...

      To be quite honest, I like these 'borrowings' stories a lot, so I don't have a big problem with them. Like you, I'm also a PSB fan, so I was quite happy that this iconic instrumental section of "It's A Sin" was used in this little aidoru tune.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.