Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Touch by Stan Bush (1986)

If you haven't heard we've lost a few famous people this week. The one that Caught my attention was the passing of Peter Cullen, who if you were not aware is famously known as the voice of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh (yes really), and the leader of the Autobots, Optimus Prime.



  I remember being 12 years old the first time I went to the theater to see Michael Bay's 2007 Transformers. Seeing Optimus Prime transform on the big screen will always be a core memory for me. He was quite literally the coolest thing I had ever seen, he was essentially a Gundam with the personality of Superman.

And hearing him speak?

It was like hearing the voice of God.

Even as an adult, listening to Prime hype up humanity as a cause worth fighting for still sends chills down my spine.

As I got older, however, the Michael Bay Transformers movies became less appealing to me as I started noticing more and more of their flaws. Thankfully, a friend of mine did me one of the biggest favors of my life and introduced me to the original 1986 The Transformers: The Movie.

Two things immediately jump out at you when watching this film. First, the animation is a huge step up from the original cartoon.

Second?

The music.

I'm giving this soundtrack five Michelin stars, because Stan Bush absolutely cooked.

Other artists helped, obviously. Shoutout to Lion for delivering one of the best renditions of the original "Transformers Theme," as well as "Weird Al" Yankovic for his wonderfully bizarre New Wave parody "Dare to Be Stupid."

But the real standout tracks are the ones performed by Stan Bush.

Rent must have been DUE, because this man went out of his way to craft two of the most aggressively '80s songs ever recorded.

The first is "Dare," which plays when we're introduced to the movie's main character, Hot Rod (You'd think that would be Optimus Prime, but, spoilers...It's not.)

And then there's the song that kicks in when Optimus Prime finally confronts Megatron for the last time:

"The Touch."

In my mind, "The Touch" is the theme song of Optimus Prime.

The song is pure, raw testosterone in synthesized form. Blazing guitars, triumphant keyboards, and Stan Bush singing like the entire fate of humanity depends on whether or not you believe in yourself. It's the ultimate pick-me-up.

Transformers has given me some fond memories growing up, and I'm grateful to have grown up in a world where a talking pick up truck taught me about the sanctity of human life. That was only possible thanks to the man behind the voice. 

He truly had the power.




4 comments:

  1. When the Transformers movie was released in 1986, I believe I was either just beginning my third grade year of elementary school or was about to start it. At that time, no one, at least not my age, anticipated the movie to have such a dark theme, nor for that matter to witness Optimus Prime’s demise. Therefore, the 1986 Transformers movie was quite a shock! Additionally, watching the then-unknown character “Hot Rod” ascend to become the new leader of the Autobots, Rodimus Prime, was equally shocking. No one knew what the future held. I eagerly purchased the soundtrack early on because I enjoyed both the innovative new rendition of the “Transformers” theme song and this featured song by Stand Bush titled “The Touch”! As a child, I believed that “The Touch” was Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime’s theme. It is interesting that this movie did not come to Japan until 1989 for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I associate "Dare" with Hot Rod personally. Although you can say that "The Touch" represents the power of the matrix of leadership as well, since both Prime and Hot Rod wield it in the movie

      Delete
  2. Hello, Rocket and thanks for "The Touch". If there were any American inspiration for a lot of anime opening theme songs, this could be it.

    I saw the very first movie "The Transformers" in Tokyo after having seen the old cartoon series when I was a kid in Toronto. The movie didn't land a perfect 10 but I still remember the final scene with Optimus' great soliloquy. That almost balanced things out with the headache-inducing final battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, outside of the first 20 minutes of the movie and when Rodimus Prime is Born, everything in that movie is a blur. lol. It id have some great animation though

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.