Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Kahimi Karie -- Elastic Girl


Had a very nice lunch with fellow translators and friends earlier today. It was ramen on the menu and I even took home some karaage chicken as a souvenir for my parents along with the mayo. Perhaps I should have taken it easy on the Kewpie, though, since after dinner, my gastrointestinal tract started holding protests against my choices. But then, I found out that an opened jar of mayo at room temperature can stay that way for 8 hours (!) before it's time to get rid of it. Go figure on that. Maybe my brain created a placebo effect.


Anyways, I shall refrain from further explaining the situation (I'm OK now...thanks for asking) since I now assume that you may all be giving me the same look that Kahimi Karie(カヒミ・カリィ)is giving in the top photo. Speaking of whom, it has been a while since she's been given her own article, so here is "Elastic Girl".

"Elastic Girl" is from her 1st mini-album "My First Karie" from January 1995. In fact, it's the first track and unlike some of the other songs that I've heard from the singer-songwriter, this one doesn't seem to belong in the Shibuya-kei category. I'd say that this is more country pop (Sheryl Crow, anyone?) and when it comes to her musical categories on J-Wiki, that is one category which is also listed for her. Nothing country about her vocals, though, which still represent her famous whispery delivery and tell of a woman who's more than willing to bend over backwards for a man.

The song was written by Karie and Bryan Burton-Lewis and composed by Keigo Oyamada(小山田圭吾).

2 comments:

  1. This kind of whispering singing strongly reminds me of Chara. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chara is another whispery-voiced singer and I think Yuko Ando is also fairly similar.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.