Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, October 11, 2019

Citrobal -- Celluloid


Some really nice artists that I didn't get to discover during my 17 years in the Tokyo area have been popping up thanks to those YouTube side recommendations. Earlier, it was the guitar pop band Easycome which has been active since 2015.


Well, for this article, we have to go back about a couple of decades. The Tokyo-born singer Citrobal, according to her website, is a multi-instrumentalist (keyboards, guitar, percussion) and songwriter who has provided backup for other bands. Furthermore, she has provided commercial jingles and video game music and even narration for ads.

She has also released a number of albums starting with "My Caution Line" in August 1999. One track that I've discovered is the frenetic "Celluloid". Just imagine taking a walking tour throughout Shibuya at about the highway speed limit and that's the sort of feeling that I get with "Celluloid". The song does indeed give me wings (a bit of a joke based on a certain energy drink) with its crashing percussion and flying keyboards. I've just heard another song by her, "Signal", and it seems like her brand of Shibuya-kei has also infused some rock as well....or is it the other way around?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.