Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, October 6, 2019

ALFEE -- Radical Teenager(ラジカル・ティーンエイジャー)


When I was listening to that ancient audiotape from the 1980s yesterday, I also managed to hear this song by ALFEE. And as it turns out, it was the B-side to the very first ALFEE song that I had ever heard, "Marie-Anne"(メリーアン).


"Radical Teenager", the B-side to that 16th single from June 1983 was something that, when I heard the host of "Sounds of Japan" announce it all those years ago, I'd assumed was a hard-rocking number according to the title.

However, it's actually softer than "Marie-Anne". In fact, I would posit that it is a pretty sweet pop/rock tune by the dandy member Toshihiko Takamizawa(高見沢俊彦)with arranging assistance by Akira Inoue(井上鑑). It comes off as one big song of optimism and encouragement as the protagonist in the lyrics gets a good friend down on his/her spirits to stand up, brush himself/herself off and get on that horse once more. I'm kinda surprised that "Radical Teenager" hadn't been used as some theme song for a school drama, but I read that it is a real audience rouser at the concerts.


The song has gotten onto "ALFEE B-men Collection"(ALFEE B面 コレクション...ALFEE's B-Side Collection)which came out on CD in May 1985. Listen to it for all your cheering-up needs.

4 comments:

  1. Hello. I am a big fan of J-pop (soft spot for 80s-90s era). The Alfee is my favourite band and indeed Radical Teenager is a rousing concert favourite. It was one of the encore songs at a 2014 concert that I managed to watch live.

    I was glad to stumble upon this blog. Your repertoire is impressive and I am looking forward to slowly reading your other entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yung. Thanks very much for your comments, and I've also got a soft spot for the 80s. Glad that you were able to make it to Japan last year considering the current situation in the world. Was hoping that I would head over there on vacation later this year, but unfortunately, I don't think that it will be possible. All the best!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply. I also wanted to visit Japan again this year, but it is looking increasingly difficult. I see many familiar names in your list and even more unfamiliar ones. I look forward to discovering some "new" old songs! Hope that you will not mind me commenting on the older posts.

      Delete
    3. Not a problem, Yung. Feel free to peruse and comment if you like.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.