Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Masahiko Kondo -- Royal Straight Flush(ロイヤル・ストレート・フラッシュ)

 

At first, when I saw the title of the song, I kinda scratched my head. I have played poker in the past and I knew about the rare hands of a Royal Flush and then the Straight Flush, but a Royal Straight Flush? Then I read over at Wikipedia that the Royal Straight Flush is just the full name for a Royal Flush. In any case, from what I remember from my card-playing days, I don't think I ever got that hand.

It looks like Masahiko "Matchy" Kondo(近藤真彦)was going for some sort of poker analogy with his 12th single "Royal Straight Flush". Released in November 1983, a game of Texas Hold' Em is being played out between a couple of lovers with the desired result of a Flush of Hearts. That being the case, Takashi Matsumoto's(松本隆)lyrics aside, it's the funky strut that first got my attention. Kyohei Tsutsumi(筒美京平)was responsible for the music but it was City Pop musician Makoto Matsushita(松下誠)who took care of the arrangement, and so I kinda went "Naruhodo".

"Royal Straight Flush" was all aces for Matchy since it hit No. 1 on Oricon and was a long-lasting hit for the 80s aidoru. It was the 85th-ranked single for 1983 and even the following year, it still hung in there as the 93rd-ranked single.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.