Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, February 26, 2021

Sentimental City Romance -- Honey Lady

 

Happy Friday and perhaps today might be a happier Friday than most because there seems to be more optimism around the corner with another couple of vaccines approved for use here in Canada. That's the case despite the fact that the daily case count has been creeping up over the past few days although many more tests have been done thereby dropping the positivity rate. Even the mayor, who's been sometimes discouragingly straight with us about the situation, has said that there's a fairly good likelihood that the summer may be close to normal. Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

Along with "Nantonaku, Crystal"(なんとなく、クリスタル), I also ended up buying another book from Indigo a few weeks ago, and it's right up above. Yep, being the Steely Dan fan and having realized Donald Fagen and the late Walter Becker's influence on one corner of kayo kyoku, I purchased "Steely Dan FAQ" on the history of the famous band since I wanted to know what made these guys tick. So far, I've made it up to the point where they completed "Pretzel Logic" (1974), and what I've read about them has made me wonder if a comedy-drama biography couldn't be produced.

(9:44)

Anyways, allow me to shift things to another long-running band in Japan, Sentimental City Romance(センチメンタル・シティ・ロマンス). Come to think of it, I wonder where some parallels could be made between Steely and Sentimental in terms of the direction of these two outfits. Both being born in the 1970s, I think they also started out dipping their toes in a number of genres such as rock and folk before getting a little jazzier and AOR, although perhaps SD may have gotten there a little earlier, thanks to "Aja" in 1977.

From their May 1982 "Smiling" album comes "Honey Lady" which was written and composed by vocalist Tokuo Nakano(中野督夫). I'm not sure if I can say that the arrangement is a full lift of Steely Dan hooks and chords but there is a definite essence of Fagen and Becker in this alternately smooth and strutting tune. Through the use of instruments, I also get both 1970s and 1980s City Pop/AOR vibes which I don't think I've ever felt in one song before, and yet on hearing Nakano and the rest of the guys singing in the chorus, I still feel that their folk-rock vibe never left them on entering the new decade.

6 comments:

  1. Superb find J! Can definitely hear the SD influence, as well as more than a little Toto in there. The instrumental break with the guitar solo is sheer West Coast/AOR brilliance. Thanks for sharing. If you enjoy this stuff then check out Young Gun Silver Fox, a modern AOR duo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! I got the same sentiments from another friend of mine who read the article. SCR really enjoyed SD back then, didn't they? I will have to check out Young Gun Silver Fox since Blue Peppers have been absolutely wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I heard the Blue Peppers duo began while still in college. Their level of music knowledge belies their age, that's for sure. Excited to see how they blossom over the coming years.

    Young Gun Silver Fox have produced some stellar material, a total throwback to the AOR heyday, or Yacht Rock as it's oft referred to today. Be sure to check out their songs Kingston Boogie, Take It Or Leave It, and Who Needs Words. Modern classics in every sense.

    I've been listening to some of Sentimental City Romance's other tracks and it's a mixed bag, seamlessly melding folk, rock, occasionally jazz, even some mambo thrown in for good measure. Thus far perhaps my favorite tracks from them are Honey Lady, Old Love Song and 明方小話. Even little melodic flourishes sprinkled throughout their tracks tend to be strong.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKu9Nj1IyFo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the singers that inspired Blue Peppers on their website and it's a long list of folks ranging from Gino Vannelli to Tatsuro Yamashita. I'm really hoping that the guys release something new pretty soon.

      I just heard Young Gun Silver Fox's "Kids" and boy, do they really provide the good ol' AOR vibes of yesteryear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYeHTMvUvw

      That's a good sign about Sentimental City Romance. One thing that I appreciate about a band is when they like to try out all sorts of genres in their sound. Very cool, indeed.

      Delete
  3. We're on the same page. Fortunately it seems Yacht Rock/AOR has been making a comeback in recent years. I don't know if it's due in part to crate diggers scrounging around for hidden gems or simply a desire for a return to retro sounds, but whatever the case perhaps acts like Blue Peppers and YGSF portend a new renaissance for this criminally underrated genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Michael. I sure hope that people start appreciating the old stuff once more, and maybe folks like Bruno Mars and The Weeknd can lead the way. I also wouldn't mind some good old 80s soul making a comeback.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.