Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, February 28, 2021

P.S. on Tokyo House Party: 1970s Singers, Part 1 (Aidoru)

 

Happy Sunday out there! Last night, I had the honour of meeting Saira Chambers, Derrick Fields and Van Paugam on their livestreaming podcast of "Tokyo House Party" to talk about music in the Bubble Era through their "BUBBLES, BIJUTSU, AND BEATS: THE MUSIC, FASHION, AND ART OF JAPAN'S "BUBBLE" ERA" episode. It was a lot of fun although I think that at points with City Pop geeks like Van and myself at the party at the same time, Saira and Derrick may have been trying to calm down a couple of bucking broncos, so I will do the Canadian thing and thank my hosts and apologize at the same time.😅

With all the talk going on last night, I think one answer that may have gotten lost in the conversational shuffle was the one for Derrick's question about who I would recommend for the person interested in further exploring the wonderful world of kayo kyoku. As such, I've decided to provide a KKP PS from the podcast last night and for the next few days, I will provide some singers and bands that I think can start fitting the bill. And that will begin with such people who launched their careers in the 1970s (followed by artists from the 60s, 80s, the genres of enka/Mood Kayo and so on).

My recommendation list for the 1970s is not only a big one but it also consists of just my personal choices (and an incomplete one at that), and it should just be a starting point for the kayo newbies. I will leave a photo of the singer and then a couple of his/her hits which have already been profiled on the blog. From there, you can launch your exploration by going through YouTube and perhaps even buying an original album or a BEST compilation. At the same time, via the platform's all-magical algorithm, you may also find other singers and bands that you can take a look at as well.

First, let me provide some of the aidoru from the 1970s. Part 2 is now up as well.


Momoe Yamaguchi(山口百恵): Hito Natsu no Keiken(ひと夏経験)and Imitation Gold (イミテイション・ゴールド)

Pink Lady: UFO and Nagisa no Sinbad (渚のシンドバッド)

Candies: Haru Ichiban (春一番)and Toshishita no Otokonoko (年下の男の子)


Hideki Saijo(西城秀樹): Young Man (ヤングマン)and Kizudarake no Lola (傷だらけのローラ)


Hiromi Go(郷ひろみ): Otoko no Ko , Onna no Ko (男の子女の子)and How Many Ii Kao? (How Many いい顔)


Goro Noguchi(野口五郎): Aoi Ringo (青いリンゴ)and Amai Seikatsu (甘い生活)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.