Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, February 26, 2021

Kaoru Hirose -- Cosmic Space City

 

Over five years ago, I gave my thoughts on the jaunty "Information Love" by singer-songwriter Kaoru Hirose(広瀬かおる)from her 1982 "Shakin' It Up" album. On that article, I stated that there was perhaps some Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎)in there although Yoichi Takizawa(滝沢洋一)was the one behind the melody, but I've realized since then that the keyboard and horn arrangements were more along the lines of Airplay (David Foster and Jay Graydon).


Well, I'm finally going ahead with my second Hirose article and it's for the first track from the aforementioned "Shakin' It Up", "Cosmic Space City". With a title like that, I had been expecting something a little technopop a la Yellow Magic Orchestra. However the song written by Hirose and composed by Alfred Chen actually still has that Airplay feeling in the keyboards with brief interludes that sound like a Hollywood trek into heaven. Also, if Pat Benatar had grown up in Japan and decided to go pop instead of rock, I could imagine "Cosmic Space City" being her song.

Hopefully, I won't have to end up waiting another five years to tackle the entirety of "Shakin' It Up" next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.